- No One Makes you Shop at Wal Mart (link), Between the Lines Press (2006)
- What’s Yours is Mine: Against the Sharing Economy (2015).
- US and UK edition (link), OR Books, November 2015
- Canadian edition (link), Between the Lines Press, February 2016
- German edition (Deins ist Meins): Verlag Antje Kunstmann
- Spanish edition: Lo tuyo es mío, Taurus, November 2016
- Simplified Chinese edition: (Ginkgo Book Co.)
- French language edition (France and Québec): Ce Qui est à Toi est à Moi, translated by Hélène Rioux, Lux Editeur
- “Trust and Platform Cooperatives” in Ours to Hack and to Own, edited by Trebor Scholz and Nathan Scheider.
- Silicon Valley to Liberal Arts Majors: We Want You, Boston Review, June 14, 2017.
- Airbnb is Facing an Existential Expansion Problem, Harvard Business Review digital article, July 11, 2016
- What’s Yours is Mine, AFR Weekend, Australian Financial Review, May 28, 2016 (book excerpt)
- The Sharing Economy isn’t about sharing, Alternet, March 27, 2016 (book excerpt)
- The Sharing Economy’s Dirty Laundry, Jacobin, March 2016
- In Praise of Fake Reviews, The New Inquiry, October 2014
- Storm Warnings, Literary Review of Canada, September 2014. A review of To the Cloud: Big Data in a Turbulent World, by Vincent Mosco
- Sharing and Caring, Jacobin, January 2014
- Charity Assets, The New Inquiry, November 2013
- Hacking Society Literary Review of Canada, September 2013. A review of Networked: The New Social Operating System, by Lee Rainie and Barry Wellman, Coding Freedom: The Ethics and Aesthetics of Hacking, by E. Gabriella Coleman, and Black Code: Inside the Battle for Cyberspace, by Ronald J. Deibert
- Open Wide, The New Inquiry, June 2013
- Seeing Like a Geek, Crooked Timber, June 2012
- Click to Judge, Literary Review of Canada, April 2012. A review of The Reputation Society: How Online Opinions Are Reshaping the Offline World, edited by Hassan Masum and Mark Tovey
- A Caribbean Longshot, Literary Review of Canada, May 2011. A review of Internet Gambling Offshore: Caribbean Struggles over Casino Capitalism, by Andrew F. Cooper, with Jamie Supeene.
- Shopping ’Til We Drop, Literary Review of Canada, November 2009. A review of The Price of a Bargain: The Quest for Cheap and the Death of Globalization, by Gordon Laird
Reviews of “What’s Yours is Mine”
- What’s Yours is Mine, Håkan Lindgren, Svenska DagBladet, Jan 11, 2016.
- The broken promise of the sharing economy, Ralf Grötker, Netopia, Feb 3, 2016
- Raw Deals, Ben Terrall, Counterpunch, Feb 12, 2016.
- What’s Yours is Mine, Saul of Hearts, Medium, Feb 25, 2016
- L’atto d’accusa contro la sharing economy, Fabio Chiusi, L’Espresso, 09 March 2016 (Italian)
- The Unforeseen Dangers of Uber and Airbnb, Robert E. Levine, The Spectator (UK), March 5, 2016
- Ist Carsharing das neue Lohndumping? (German), Welt, Oliver Rasche, April 2016.
- Book of the Day, Steven Poole, The Guardian, April 2, 2016.
- Tom Slee’s What’s Yours is Mine, Cathy O’Neil, April 20, 2016
- Die Sharing Economy – nur eine illusion?, Birgit Stratmann, Netzwerk Ethikheute, (German)
- Sheared, Rohinton Medhora, Literary Review of Canada, May 2016
- Book slams Uber, Airbnb, and Sharing Economy, Thomas Walkom, Toronto Star, May 1, 2016
- What’s Yours is Mine, Peter Richardson, Truthdig, May 2, 2016.
- Teile und herrsche, Thomas Wagner, junge Welt, May 10, 2016
- What’s Yours is Mine, Liz Pelly, Maximum Rocknroll, June 2016
- What’s Yours is Mine, Howard Doughty, The Innovation Journal, 21 (1) 2016
- What’s Yours is Mine, Ruth Latta, The Compulsive Reader, March 25, 2016
- Le duel des critiques, BFM Business, (French, video).
- What do we do about a problem like Uber, Andrew Orlowski, The Register, 15 Jan 2016
- Inside the sharing economy, Per Strömbäck, Netopia, 3 Feb 2016
- Every person a market, Chuck Mertz, This is Hell, 23 Feb 2016 (audio),
- The Sharing Economy is Not Your Friend, Drew Millard, Vice, Feb 2016.
- Sharing is not always caring, James Jackson, Waterloo Chronicle, 09 Mar 2016
- Geldwertes Teilen, DeutschlandRadio Kultur, 12 March 2016 (German)
- The technology is just a shiny shopfront, Barbara Speed, The New Statesman, 21 March 2016.
- “Diese Jobs schaffen ein neues Prekariat”, Nils Klawitter, Spiegel Online, 23 March 2016 (German)
- Teile und herrsche, Barbara Hofler, NZZ Am Sontag, 16 April 2016 (German, Switzerland)
- What’s Yours is Mine, Redeye Collective, Vancouver (audio), 29 April 2016
- Sharing the wealth, unevenly, The Agenda with Steve Paikin, TV Ontario, 4 May 2016
- Uber og Airbnb underminerer demokratiet, Assia Awad, djoefbladet, 26 May 2016 (Danish)
- Sharing economy platforms exist for one purpose only, which is to make money for their investors, Felix Simon, Medium, 6 June 2016
- 10 Questions on the sharing economy (video) (transcript), The Agenda with Steve Paikin, TV Ontario, 14 June 2016.
- Can’t find a home in Seattle? Airbnb rentals may be to blame, Gene Balk, The Seattle Times, 15 June 2016 (Seattle)
- Short-term rentals are reshaping real estate market in some cities, Tony Gonzalez, Marketplace, 20 Sept 2016
- The Sharing Economy Blues, David Hugill, Canadian Dimension, 23 September 2016
- Die Sharing Economie ist eine Blase, (German), Marc Kowalsky, Bilanz, November 2016.
- UK Tribunal Rules in Favour of Uber Drivers (audio), Redeye Collective, Vancouver, 22 Nov 2016
- The so-called sharing economy, Richard Aedy, The Money, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, December 2016, (audio)
- The Great Exchange, Lara Bourdin, CPA Magazine (Chartered Professional Accountants), April 1, 2017
- Taking the Uber Bus (video), The Agenda, TV Ontario, April 2017.
- Sharing Economy. Il rovescio della medaglia (Italian), Mariella Palazzolo, Primo Piano Scala c, April 2017.
Quotes, and articles using my Airbnb data
- Nobody’s Business: CCPA report on short-term rentals in Toronto, 22 September 2016
- Airbnb cutting into available rentals in Toronto, study shows, Metro News, 22 Sep 2016
- Airbnb cutting into available rentals in city, Tess Kalinowski, Toronto Star, 22 Sep 2016
- Airbnb Is Sapping Toronto Of Rental Housing: Report, Jesse Ferreras, Huffington Post, 22 Sep 2016
- (and others)
- Airbnb has made it nearly impossible to find a place to live in this city, Kristen V. Brown, Fusion, May 24. (Reykjavik)
- How do we research the sharing economy when the data can’t be validated?, Andrew Gelman, Monkey Cage Blog (Washington Post), June 6, 2016.
- Cities take aim at Airbnb, Sunny Dhillon, Globe and Mail, 11 July 2016
- Airbnb in Vancouver and its impact on affordable housing, Iain Marjoribanks, 1 June 2016,
- Airbnb open to market regulations in large cities like Vancouver, Mike Hager, Globe and Mail, 25 July 2016 (Vancouver)
- Iceland tourism and the mixed blessings of Airbnb, Andrew Scheivachman, Skift, 19 Aug 2016
- Small towns can’t handle the sharing economy tourism boom, Kristen V. Brown, Fusion, 28 August 2016.
- Airbnb et Uber, Nicholas Tittley, Radio Canada, September 2016. (audio)
- Lancé à Bordeaux, l’observatoire Airbnb veut créer un débat national, Xavier Ridon, Rue89 Bordeaux, 25 Oct 2016 (Bordeaux)
- New York deflates Airbnb, The Economist, 29 Oct 2016.
- The 14 th Global Forum on Tourism Statistics, 23-25 Nov 2016
- Consumo collaborativo: dall’anticapitalismo al rilancio del mercato, Carlo Lottiere, il Giornale, 7 Dec 2016 (Italian)
- Uber uses scare tactics to turn drivers from unions, ClassAction.com, April 12, 2017.
- Planning enforcement at the time of Airbnb, Francesco Mellino, Planning in London, April-June 2017.
Report: How Airbnb hid the facts in New York City
Together with Murray Cox of Inside Airbnb, I produced a report on Airbnb’s removal of 1500 listings in New York, just in time to make its public release of data look good.
- New York Times: Airbnb Purged New York Listings to Create a Rosier Portrait, Report Says
- The Guardian: Airbnb purged more than 1,000 New York listings to rig survey – report
- Fortune: Researchers say Airbnb Fudged New York City Listing Data
- CNBC: Report Says Airbnb Fudged Data To Hide Illegal Hosts
New York & real estate:
- The Real Deal: De Blasio chides Airbnb over alleged data purge
- New York Daily News: Airbnb dropped 1,000 possibly illegal listings before opening its books to lawmakers
New York Magazine: Airbnb accused of purging 1000 NYC listings to make its numbers look better
- TechnoBuffalo: Airbnb used dirty tactics to clean up 1,000 New York City listings
- New York Business Journal: Airbnb honesty in question after report claims the startup ‘photoshopped’ data
- Curbed: Airbnb May Have Deleted NYC Listings to Bolster Its Image
- Re/code: Did Airbnb Purge Potentially Illegal NYC Listings Ahead of Its Own Data Dump?
- Fusion: A new report alleges that Airbnb manipulated data to make itself look better to regulators
- Digital Journal: Airbnb allegedly purged 1,000+ New York listings to rig survey
- Gizmodo: Looks Like Airbnb Manipulated Its Own Data To Appear Less Evil
- The Awl: The Mystery of the Thousand Missing Airbnbs
- Boing Boing: The mystery listings Airbnb “purged” before transparency report
- Alternet: How Airbnb Misled the Public and the Press
- Next City: Airbnb Allegedly Manipulated Data to Hide Illegal Hosts in NYC
- Accommodation Association of Australia (reprint of press release)
- El Confidencial: Acusan a Airbnb de manipular sus datos para ocultar propiedades ilegales
- Preferente: Airbnb, acusada de manipular datos para ocultar propiedades ilegales
- Allcompanies (Dutch): Airbnb verwijderd meer dan 1.000 New York aanbiedingen te rig survey – rapport