- No One Makes you Shop at Wal Mart (link), Between the Lines Press (2006)
- What’s Yours is Mine: Against the Sharing Economy (2015).
- US and UK edition (link), OR Books, November 2015
- Canadian edition (link), Between the Lines Press, February 2016
- German edition (Deins ist Meins): Verlag Antje Kunstmann
- Spanish edition: Lo tuyo es mío, Taurus, November 2016
- Simplified Chinese edition: (Ginkgo Book Co.)
- French language edition (France and Québec): Ce Qui est à Toi est à Moi, translated by Hélène Rioux, Lux Editeur
- Portuguese edition (Brazil): Uberização: a nova onda do trabalho precarizado, translated by João Peres, Editore Elefante.
- “Private Sector AI: Ethics and Incentives”, (in progress. Workshop here), in A Handbook of Ethics of AI, Oxford University Press, 2019.
- “Airbnb’s Business and Arguments about Data”. Address to the 4th Annual Asper INTLaw Conference, University of Manitoba, April 2018.
- “Trust and Platform Cooperatives” in Ours to Hack and to Own, edited by Trebor Scholz and Nathan Scheider, OR Books 2017.
Invited Essays and Contributions
The Rise and Fall of the Sharing Economy, presentation to the Ernst Schmidheiny Foundation Symposium, November 2018.
Transport: Time for cities to take the lead (Spanish), El Pais Retina, Series on Shared Mobility, September 22, 2018.
Losing Trust in the Sharing Economy (Catalan), La Maleta de Portbou, September-October 2018.
The Rise and Fall of the Sharing Economy Spanish), Papeles de relaciones ecosociales y cambio global, 141, FUHEM, 2018, pp 77-88.
Silicon Valley to Liberal Arts Majors: We Want You, Boston Review, June 14, 2017.
- Airbnb is Facing an Existential Expansion Problem, Harvard Business Review digital article, July 11, 2016.
- What’s Yours is Mine, AFR Weekend, Australian Financial Review, May 28, 2016 (book excerpt)
- The Sharing Economy isn’t about sharing, Alternet, March 27, 2016 (book excerpt)
- The Sharing Economy’s Dirty Laundry, Jacobin, March 2016
- In Praise of Fake Reviews, The New Inquiry, October 2014
- Storm Warnings, Literary Review of Canada, September 2014. A review of To the Cloud: Big Data in a Turbulent World, by Vincent Mosco
- Sharing and Caring, Jacobin, January 2014
- Charity Assets, The New Inquiry, November 2013
- Hacking Society Literary Review of Canada, September 2013. A review of Networked: The New Social Operating System, by Lee Rainie and Barry Wellman, Coding Freedom: The Ethics and Aesthetics of Hacking, by E. Gabriella Coleman, and Black Code: Inside the Battle for Cyberspace, by Ronald J. Deibert
- Open Wide, The New Inquiry, June 2013
- Seeing Like a Geek, Crooked Timber, June 2012
- Click to Judge, Literary Review of Canada, April 2012. A review of The Reputation Society: How Online Opinions Are Reshaping the Offline World, edited by Hassan Masum and Mark Tovey
- A Caribbean Longshot, Literary Review of Canada, May 2011. A review of Internet Gambling Offshore: Caribbean Struggles over Casino Capitalism, by Andrew F. Cooper, with Jamie Supeene.
- Shopping ’Til We Drop, Literary Review of Canada, November 2009. A review of The Price of a Bargain: The Quest for Cheap and the Death of Globalization, by Gordon Laird
Reviews of “What’s Yours is Mine”
- What’s Yours is Mine, Håkan Lindgren, Svenska DagBladet, Jan 11, 2016.
- The broken promise of the sharing economy, Ralf Grötker, Netopia, Feb 3, 2016
- Raw Deals, Ben Terrall, Counterpunch, Feb 12, 2016.
- What’s Yours is Mine, Saul of Hearts, Medium, Feb 25, 2016
- L’atto d’accusa contro la sharing economy, Fabio Chiusi, L’Espresso, 09 March 2016 (Italian)
- The Unforeseen Dangers of Uber and Airbnb, Robert E. Levine, The Spectator (UK), March 5, 2016
- Ist Carsharing das neue Lohndumping? (German), Welt, Oliver Rasche, April 2016.
- Book of the Day, Steven Poole, The Guardian, April 2, 2016.
- Tom Slee’s What’s Yours is Mine, Cathy O’Neil, April 20, 2016
- Die Sharing Economy – nur eine illusion?, Birgit Stratmann, Netzwerk Ethikheute, (German)
- Sheared, Rohinton Medhora, Literary Review of Canada, May 2016
- Book slams Uber, Airbnb, and Sharing Economy, Thomas Walkom, Toronto Star, May 1, 2016
- What’s Yours is Mine, Peter Richardson, Truthdig, May 2, 2016.
- Teile und herrsche, Thomas Wagner, junge Welt, May 10, 2016
- What’s Yours is Mine, Liz Pelly, Maximum Rocknroll, June 2016
- What’s Yours is Mine, Howard Doughty, The Innovation Journal, 21 (1) 2016
- What’s Yours is Mine, Ruth Latta, The Compulsive Reader, March 25, 2016
- Le duel des critiques, BFM Business, (French, video).
- Interviews on the Sharing Economy, Canadian Broadcast Corporation, various.
- The Sharing Economy (YouTube link), The World According to Jesse Ventura, RT America, August 2018.
- The Sharing Economy is a Bubble (interview, German), Bilanz, November 1, 2016
- What do we do about a problem like Uber, Andrew Orlowski, The Register, 15 Jan 2016
- Inside the sharing economy, Per Strömbäck, Netopia, 3 Feb 2016
- Every person a market, Chuck Mertz, This is Hell, 23 Feb 2016 (audio),
- The Sharing Economy is Not Your Friend, Drew Millard, Vice, Feb 2016.
- Sharing is not always caring, James Jackson, Waterloo Chronicle, 09 Mar 2016
- Geldwertes Teilen, DeutschlandRadio Kultur, 12 March 2016 (German)
- The technology is just a shiny shopfront, Barbara Speed, The New Statesman, 21 March 2016.
- “Diese Jobs schaffen ein neues Prekariat”, Nils Klawitter, Spiegel Online, 23 March 2016 (German)
- Teile und herrsche, Barbara Hofler, NZZ Am Sontag, 16 April 2016 (German, Switzerland)
- What’s Yours is Mine, Redeye Collective, Vancouver (audio), 29 April 2016
- Sharing the wealth, unevenly, The Agenda with Steve Paikin, TV Ontario, 4 May 2016
- Uber og Airbnb underminerer demokratiet, Assia Awad, djoefbladet, 26 May 2016 (Danish)
- Sharing economy platforms exist for one purpose only, which is to make money for their investors, Felix Simon, Medium, 6 June 2016
- 10 Questions on the sharing economy (video) (transcript), The Agenda with Steve Paikin, TV Ontario, 14 June 2016.
- Can’t find a home in Seattle? Airbnb rentals may be to blame, Gene Balk, The Seattle Times, 15 June 2016 (Seattle)
- Short-term rentals are reshaping real estate market in some cities, Tony Gonzalez, Marketplace, 20 Sept 2016
- The Sharing Economy Blues, David Hugill, Canadian Dimension, 23 September 2016
- Die Sharing Economie ist eine Blase, (German), Marc Kowalsky, Bilanz, November 2016.
- UK Tribunal Rules in Favour of Uber Drivers (audio), Redeye Collective, Vancouver, 22 Nov 2016
- The so-called sharing economy, Richard Aedy, The Money, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, December 2016, (audio)
- The Great Exchange, Lara Bourdin, CPA Magazine (Chartered Professional Accountants), April 1, 2017
- Taking the Uber Bus (video) (transcript), The Agenda, TV Ontario, April 2017.
- Sharing Economy. Il rovescio della medaglia (Italian), Mariella Palazzolo, Primo Piano Scala c, April 2017.
Quotes, and articles using my Airbnb data
Airbnb can’t go on unregulated – it does too much damage to cities, Steven Poole, The Guardian, October 24, 2018.
- New data suggests Airbnb’s impact on Halifax’s rental climate, Sandra Hannenbaum, The Coast, November 15, 2018.
- Nobody’s Business: CCPA report on short-term rentals in Toronto, 22 September 2016
- Airbnb cutting into available rentals in Toronto, study shows, Metro News, 22 Sep 2016
- Airbnb cutting into available rentals in city, Tess Kalinowski, Toronto Star, 22 Sep 2016
- Airbnb Is Sapping Toronto Of Rental Housing: Report, Jesse Ferreras, Huffington Post, 22 Sep 2016
- (and others)
- Airbnb has made it nearly impossible to find a place to live in this city, Kristen V. Brown, Fusion, May 24. (Reykjavik)
- How do we research the sharing economy when the data can’t be validated?, Andrew Gelman, Monkey Cage Blog (Washington Post), June 6, 2016.
- Cities take aim at Airbnb, Sunny Dhillon, Globe and Mail, 11 July 2016
- Airbnb in Vancouver and its impact on affordable housing, Iain Marjoribanks, 1 June 2016,
- Airbnb open to market regulations in large cities like Vancouver, Mike Hager, Globe and Mail, 25 July 2016 (Vancouver)
- Iceland tourism and the mixed blessings of Airbnb, Andrew Scheivachman, Skift, 19 Aug 2016
- Small towns can’t handle the sharing economy tourism boom, Kristen V. Brown, Fusion, 28 August 2016.
- Airbnb et Uber, Nicholas Tittley, Radio Canada, September 2016. (audio)
- Lancé à Bordeaux, l’observatoire Airbnb veut créer un débat national, Xavier Ridon, Rue89 Bordeaux, 25 Oct 2016 (Bordeaux)
- New York deflates Airbnb, The Economist, 29 Oct 2016.
- The 14 th Global Forum on Tourism Statistics, 23-25 Nov 2016
- Consumo collaborativo: dall’anticapitalismo al rilancio del mercato, Carlo Lottiere, il Giornale, 7 Dec 2016 (Italian)
- Uber uses scare tactics to turn drivers from unions, ClassAction.com, April 12, 2017.
- Planning enforcement at the time of Airbnb, Francesco Mellino, Planning in London, April-June 2017.
Report: How Airbnb hid the facts in New York City
Together with Murray Cox of Inside Airbnb, I produced a report on Airbnb’s removal of 1500 listings in New York, just in time to make its public release of data look good.
- The report: my site, and Inside Airbnb
- Airbnb admits it purged listings: Fusion,
- New York Times: Airbnb Purged New York Listings to Create a Rosier Portrait, Report Says
- The Guardian: Airbnb purged more than 1,000 New York listings to rig survey – report
- Fortune: Researchers say Airbnb Fudged New York City Listing Data
- CNBC: Report Says Airbnb Fudged Data To Hide Illegal Hosts
New York & real estate:
- The Real Deal: De Blasio chides Airbnb over alleged data purge
- New York Daily News: Airbnb dropped 1,000 possibly illegal listings before opening its books to lawmakers
New York Magazine: Airbnb accused of purging 1000 NYC listings to make its numbers look better
- TechnoBuffalo: Airbnb used dirty tactics to clean up 1,000 New York City listings
- New York Business Journal: Airbnb honesty in question after report claims the startup ‘photoshopped’ data
- Curbed: Airbnb May Have Deleted NYC Listings to Bolster Its Image
- Re/code: Did Airbnb Purge Potentially Illegal NYC Listings Ahead of Its Own Data Dump?
- Fusion: A new report alleges that Airbnb manipulated data to make itself look better to regulators
- Digital Journal: Airbnb allegedly purged 1,000+ New York listings to rig survey
- Gizmodo: Looks Like Airbnb Manipulated Its Own Data To Appear Less Evil
- The Awl: The Mystery of the Thousand Missing Airbnbs
- Boing Boing: https://www.tvo.org/video/programs/the-agenda-with-steve-paikin/10-questions-on-the-sharing-economy
- The mystery listings Airbnb “purged” before transparency report
- Alternet: How Airbnb Misled the Public and the Press
- Next City: Airbnb Allegedly Manipulated Data to Hide Illegal Hosts in NYC
- Accommodation Association of Australia (reprint of press release)
- El Confidencial: Acusan a Airbnb de manipular sus datos para ocultar propiedades ilegales
- Preferente: Airbnb, acusada de manipular datos para ocultar propiedades ilegales
- Allcompanies (Dutch): Airbnb verwijderd meer dan 1.000 New York aanbiedingen te rig survey – rapport
- Octopus Books (Ottawa)
- Last but not Least Feast, Words Worth Books and The New Quarterly (Kitchener-Waterloo)
- Word on the Street (Toronto)
- The City Seminar: The Ghost Economy, York University, November 4, 2016