Here is a reasonably complete collection of things written by me, interviews of me, book reviews about my book, and articles to which I contributed through interviews or quotes or data sets for the year 2016. It’s been a busy year, and rewarding in many ways.
My second book What’s Yours is Mine: Against the Sharing Economy was published by OR Books in November 2015, but I am including the book and related articles here, making it a “long 2016”.
- US and UK edition (link), OR Books, November 2015
- Canadian edition (link), Between the Lines Press, February 2016
- German edition (Deins ist Meins): Verlag Antje Kunstmann
- Spanish edition: Lo tuyo es mío, Taurus, November 2016
- Simplified Chinese edition: (Ginkgo Book Co.)
- French language edition (France and Québec): Ce Qui est à Toi est à Moi, translated by Hélène Rioux, Lux Editeur
- “Trust and Platform Cooperatives” in Ours to Hack and to Own, edited by Trebor Scholz and Nathan Scheider.
- The Sharing Economy’s Dirty Laundry, Jacobin, March 2016
- The Sharing Economy isn’t about sharing, Alternet, March 27, 2016 (excerpt)
- What’s Yours is Mine, AFR Weekend, Australian Financial Review, May 28, 2016 (excerpt)
- Airbnb is Facing an Existential Expansion Problem, Harvard Business Review digital article, July 11, 2016
- The downsides of sharing, Monocle (rejected)
Reviews of “What’s Yours is Mine”
- What’s Yours is Mine, Håkan Lindgren, Svenska DagBladet, Jan 11, 2016.
- The broken promise of the sharing economy, Ralf Grötker, Netopia, Feb 3, 2016
- Raw Deals, Ben Terrall, Counterpunch, Feb 12, 2016.
- What’s Yours is Mine, Saul of Hearts, Medium, Feb 25, 2016
- L’atto d’accusa contro la sharing economy, Fabio Chiusi, L’Espresso, 09 March 2016 (Italian)
- The Unforeseen Dangers of Uber and Airbnb, Robert E. Levine, The Spectator (UK), March 5, 2016
- Ist Carsharing das neue Lohndumping? (German), Welt, Oliver Rasche, April 2016.
- Book of the Day, Steven Poole, The Guardian, April 2, 2016.
- Tom Slee’s What’s Yours is Mine, Cathy O’Neil, April 20, 2016
- Die Sharing Economy – nur eine illusion?, Birgit Stratmann, Netzwerk Ethikheute, (German)
- Sheared, Rohinton Medhora, Literary Review of Canada, May 2016
- Book slams Uber, Airbnb, and Sharing Economy, Thomas Walkom, Toronto Star, May 1, 2016
- What’s Yours is Mine, Peter Richardson, Truthdig, May 2, 2016.
- Teile und herrsche, Thomas Wagner, junge Welt, May 10, 2016
- What’s Yours is Mine, Liz Pelly, Maximum Rocknroll, June 2016
- What’s Yours is Mine, Howard Doughty, The Innovation Journal, 21 (1) 2016
- What’s Yours is Mine, Ruth Latta, The Compulsive Reader, March 25, 2016
- Le duel des critiques, BFM Business, (French, video).
- What do we do about a problem like Uber, Andrew Orlowski, The Register, 15 Jan 2016
- Inside the sharing economy, Per Strömbäck, Netopia, 3 Feb 2016
- Every person a market, Chuck Mertz, This is Hell, 23 Feb 2016 (audio),
- The Sharing Economy is Not Your Friend, Drew Millard, Vice, Feb 2016.
- Sharing is not always caring, James Jackson, Waterloo Chronicle, 09 Mar 2016
- Geldwertes Teilen, DeutschlandRadio Kultur, 12 March 2016 (German)
- The technology is just a shiny shopfront, Barbara Speed, The New Statesman, 21 March 2016.
- “Diese Jobs schaffen ein neues Prekariat”, Nils Klawitter, Spiegel Online, 23 March 2016 (German)
- Teile und herrsche, Barbara Hofler, NZZ Am Sontag, 16 April 2016 (German, Switzerland)
- What’s Yours is Mine, Redeye Collective, Vancouver (audio), 29 April 2016
- Sharing the wealth, unevenly, The Agenda with Steve Paikin, TV Ontario, 4 May 2016
- Uber og Airbnb underminerer demokratiet, Assia Awad, djoefbladet, 26 May 2016 (Danish)
- Sharing economy platforms exist for one purpose only, which is to make money for their investors, Felix Simon, Medium, 6 June 2016
- 10 Questions on the sharing economy, The Agenda with Steve Paikin, TV Ontario, 14 June 2016
- Can’t find a home in Seattle? Airbnb rentals may be to blame, Gene Balk, The Seattle Times, 15 June 2016 (Seattle)
- Short-term rentals are reshaping real estate market in some cities, Tony Gonzalez, Marketplace, 20 Sept 2016
- The Sharing Economy Blues, David Hugill, Canadian Dimension, 23 September 2016
- Die Sharing Economie ist eine Blase, (German), Marc Kowalsky, Bilanz, November 2016.
- UK Tribunal Rules in Favour of Uber Drivers (audio), Redeye Collective, Vancouver, 22 Nov 2016
- The so-called sharing economy, Richard Aedy, The Money, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, December 2016, (audio)
Quoted, and Airbnb data
- Nobody’s Business: CCPA report on short-term rentals in Toronto, 22 September 2016
- Airbnb cutting into available rentals in Toronto, study shows, Metro News, 22 Sep 2016
- Airbnb cutting into available rentals in city, Tess Kalinowski, Toronto Star, 22 Sep 2016
- Airbnb Is Sapping Toronto Of Rental Housing: Report, Jesse Ferreras, Huffington Post, 22 Sep 2016
- (and others)
- Airbnb has made it nearly impossible to find a place to live in this city, Kristen V. Brown, Fusion, May 24. (Reykjavik)
- How do we research the sharing economy when the data can’t be validated?, Andrew Gelman, Monkey Cage Blog (Washington Post), June 6, 2016.
- Cities take aim at Airbnb, Sunny Dhillon, Globe and Mail, 11 July 2016
- Airbnb in Vancouver and its impact on affordable housing, Iain Marjoribanks, 1 June 2016,
- Airbnb open to market regulations in large cities like Vancouver, Mike Hager, Globe and Mail, 25 July 2016 (Vancouver)
- Iceland tourism and the mixed blessings of Airbnb, Andrew Scheivachman, Skift, 19 Aug 2016
- Small towns can’t handle the sharing economy tourism boom, Kristen V. Brown, Fusion, 28 August 2016.
- Airbnb et Uber, Nicholas Tittley, Radio Canada, September 2016. (audio)
- Lancé à Bordeaux, l’observatoire Airbnb veut créer un débat national, Xavier Ridon, Rue89 Bordeaux, 25 Oct 2016 (Bordeaux)
- New York deflates Airbnb, The Economist, 29 Oct 2016.
- The 14 th Global Forum on Tourism Statistics, 23-25 Nov 2016
- Consumo collaborativo: dall’anticapitalismo al rilancio del mercato, Carlo Lottiere, il Giornale, 7 Dec 2016 (Italian)
Report: How Airbnb hid the facts in New York City
Together with Murray Cox of Inside Airbnb, I produced a report on Airbnb’s removal of 1500 listings in New York, just in time to make its public release of data look good.
- The report: my site, and Inside Airbnb
- List of media reports, including New York Times, The Guardian, and NBC.
- Airbnb admits it purged listings: Fusion,